Careless campers


How often do we shoot our mouths off without thinking about just how much hurt it might cause? When I was in high school, I found it so easy to say things and then, if I'd hurt someone, just say "I was only joking..." I would test the waters with people, see how far I could push, just for the sake of it. As I look back, I thank GOD that He gently drew me away from that bad habit and convicted me of a way of behaving that was destroying my life and my friendships!

In church, if we want to really learn how to encourage each other, then we need to hand our words over to GOD. The only way that our words will build into the lives of others is if they are filled with the Holy Spirit. We need to speak in GOD's power and GOD's authority.

There's a beautiful proverb, 26:18-19, Eugene Peterson puts it like this:
"People who shrug off deliberate deceptions, saying, 'I didn't mean it, I was only joking,' are worse than careless campers who walk away from smoldering campfires."


You need only imagine an abandoned, smoldering campfire, left alone to go where it pleases, to know that it's a dangerous thing.  Words are as dangerous when left undoused in the hearts and minds of those inflicted by their heat.  We need to carefully think before we speak if we want to use our words to build people up.


It begins with the mindset of wanting to act in love and considering the different options available to us; what the impact will be on the person that we are about to love.  If we read on in Proverbs we see that wounds from a friend can be trusted and that an enemy multiplies kisses - this confirms for us that sometimes it's hard to do the loving thing.  Sometimes, the loving thing might seem 'wrong', but if we find the foundation for our choices routed in Grace, then we will see that it's not always about right or wrong and that love rises above that way of thinking.


I pray that GOD will gently remind you of things that you might have said that need to be extinguished; that He will guide your words to encourage and build others up; and that your relationship with Him, and others, will grow in strength and authenticity.
Blogger Social Bookmark Gadget

No comments:

Post a Comment