WORSHIP WHEN PLANS CHANGE


"He must become greater; I must become less."
John the Baptist (John 3:30)

So here I sit, with 15 minutes left to board a flight for Durban.  Everything is on track; for once - no delays, all is going according to schedule.  Except, I left my wallet (and ID) at home.  My first response?  Panic!  The next flight is in five hours time.  I frantically phoned my lift to check the car, just to confirm that it wasn't there.  I then phoned my wife, who confirmed that my wallet was indeed at home; 20 minutes one-way...

As the realisation sinks in that I've woken up at 04:30 all for nothing, I am reminded of GOD's overriding control of everything.  My mind fights it and tries to remind me that the situation that I'm in is my fault, not GOD's.  I should worry - that's natural!  I should blame myself - that's what any sane person should do!

But then the Spirit reminds me that GOD is greater than my absent mindedness, His presence shines through the holes of my inadequacies.  I don't need to ask GOD to make a plan, because He has already made a plan.  My plan was to board the 06:15 flight, because I had meetings at 08:00.  My plan was spend the morning in Durban.  My plan should've been to remember my wallet.

GOD's plan?  For me to worship Him.  That's all I have to do.  Worry about a missed flight?  Certainly not.  Worry about missed meetings?  Certainly not!  GOD wants me to relax and rest in His presence.  He has His plans, and those are more important than mine.  It's that simple.


"Mortals make elaborate plans, but God has the last word.  Humans are satisfied with whatever looks good; God probes for what is good. Put God in charge of your work, then what you've planned will take place."  Prov 16 1-3


There are enormous benefits to working in an airport lounge:  it's warm, there's free coffee, great 3G reception, free toilet paper and many leather-bound chairs.  So, I choose to worship GOD and not fret in my problems (that I caused for myself!).  I choose to pray for random citizens; I choose to to dwell in GOD, regardless of my situation.

How do you start your day?  Do you check your diary and work from there?  Do you work from one calendar reminder to the next?  Whatever you face this week, know that your plans can change but that GOD is above them all.  May I encourage you to 'go with the flow' of the Holy Spirit and let Him guide you, not your calendar.

May I encourage you to wake up with the question: "What do You want me to do today, LORD?"
Blogger Social Bookmark Gadget

4 comments:

  1. "Some really good reflections! Like!" Carla D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carla - thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Tim,
    Good to meet you today.
    (Sorry I was a bit "grumpy" haha)
    I liked this blog. and clearly you did make it to Durban.

    This is the blog, Sean was talking about: http://sacredspaces2004.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/sacred-spaces-337-clothes-off/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Darrel - great blog! Will be following you with great interest!

    ReplyDelete